Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 1 and 2

So I typed everything for Day 1 and my phone decided to not post or let me even look at it. So here I am at a hostel (for the first time ever) busting away on my computer. I guess I should start at the beginning.

Day 1:
Started off the day with an amazing complimentary breakfast. I ate extra calories in anticipation of the days ride. At this point I haven't gotten as much practice as I originally wanted to so I knew I would be huffing and puffing for a few days. And my muscles will need extra fuel to build and repair the muscle I'm trying to build. I then went back up to the room, put on some music and kept cranking on putting my bike back together. There was a little cosmetic damage (that's what I get for a hasty pack job) but other than that things went together smoothly.

I then headed out to the bike shop that had the tires I wanted Schwalbe Marathon Plus. The are supposed to be the best when it comes to touring: traction, puncture resistance, and general ride. They are a bit heavier than normal tires but worth it for the added benefits. When I looked up the directions to this bike shop it said 19 minutes. I was pumped, it was so close and I could then just head out to the ferry. I started biking without looking at the details of the directions, 30 minutes later I checked everything out again only to find out it was 19 miles not 19 minutes. What a difference. It turned out to be ok as it was in the right direction, taking me closer to the ferry, for the most part. They helped me out with a few things and even gave me a free cup of coffee. Aaron's bike Shop in west Seattle is the spot to check out.


6 miles later I was at the ferry building waiting for the ferry (check out photo 4). I happened to run into a guy who had a broken pedal on his bike. Conversation started there and didn't finish till we got off in Bermerton across the Puget sound. He was a cool dude who works for the Coast Guard as a DC (Damage control) working on this insides of the boats that the Coast Guard runs. He was really chill and had tons of stories and suggestions of places to go. He kept talking about one suggestion in general: Rainbow Pools. Apparently its just outside of Yosemite (near where he grew up) and sounded amazing. So first place I go after this Journey = rainbow pools. I have also started keeping a list of places people suggest that I go to.

Only one wrong turn (that sent me up a RIDICULOUS hill) and 19 miles later and I ended up at my first campsite; Belfair State Park. The only problem was that it started to rain as I pulled in and didn't stop until I arrived at my next destination... the next day. So I spent the night eating my canned goods, dried fruits and nuts. Sitting in my tent and going through all my gear to try and get rid of more gear. After that ridiculous hill I almost couldn't make it up and the hill that was the right direction that was the exact same thing I knew I needed to get rid of more gear. So I went through everything and selected a lot of extra stuff that can go home. I packed it up and went went to sleep after a few phone calls from awesome people. No reading that night, I was too tired and had too many things to keep track of. It was my first day after all and I put in over 40 miles (who woulda thought). Check out the photo of the inside of my tent (Photo 2).

DAY 2
Started out riding with rain and ended riding with rain. Somehow though it was still gorgeous maybe it's a sign of the mental state I'm in but I just loved it. Yeah there were times when I was cold, sore and tired. Most of the time, however, I was just enjoying the smooth ride through the evergreen forests looking around listening to the sounds and getting used to my new lifestyle. I got breakfast at this fun spot called Hideaway Grill. The people there were SUPER friendly and it was all conversation and questions about my journey. I'm getting pretty good at telling my story, it kinda makes it more and more real every time I describe what I'm doing. At one time the clouds opened up and it was sunny for a brief while. It felt like magic. (Photo 1) At that time I took off my rain pants because it felt like they were restricting some movement... BIG mistake. It kept raining and raining. It would let up some then down pour. Man was I glad I had fenders and a rain jacket on... I was just bummed I had already taken off my rain pants. My legs got soaked and later on they were very cold. I stopped by an amazing lunch spot (gotta keep my calories up) Super bike friendly, they even let me bring my bike inside the restaurant. It's called Pine Tree and the owner was a such a easy going guy who knew all of his customers personally. Pretty cool. Over the hills and through some rain to Elma I go. I got through 49 miles between 9 and 3 including a stop for lunch. It felt great and was gorgeous. At one point I couldn't help but think that the forest definitely looked like the one in the Twilight movies.

I ended up at Gray Harbor hostel in Elma. What a little haven with a quirky but super friendly owner. This place has an 18 hole disc Golf course. After getting all set up, taking a shower (mainly to warm up) and walking I found some discs and played the course. Man was it hard and was I bad. What and experience though. Walking around his property (aka a swamp from all the rain) soaking my shoes and having fun just tossing a disc. After a ride into town I made myself some good dinner. (see previous post) Shared with some fellow Hostelers (is that a word?) and hung out talking for most of the night. Another solid and good day. I do hope that there is less rain tomorrow so I can dry out my gear and enjoy some sunshine tomorrow.

The route has been awesome so far with gorgeous rides through back country along lakes, ponds and creeks. Man what a great opportunity to do this. So happy to be on the road.


Pictures: (in reverse chronological order)
1 the sky opened up in the middle of all day rains, it felt glorious
2 the inside of my tent. Tied to make it feel homey using the flags
3 Seattle skyline from the ferry building
4 my loaded bike waiting for the ferry ride
5 finally all set up and ready to go (wayyyyy too much gear)
6 Breakfast of champions






No comments:

Post a Comment