Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The last day's check list

What a jam packed two days leading up to my departure. I really got to enjoy the city in a new way with my friend Erin. We bounced around the city, did brunch, the brooklyn bridge, the NY public library, a bike ride, and the dinner in the east village. The main public library on 42nd and 5th ave is amazing by the way. What outstanding archecture. So grandiose and awe inspiring. A building that's 100 years hold and holding texts from so much further back. Wandering through the hallways had an almost mystical feeling. Each room being devoted to a specific type of writing era or genre. Erin and I spoke of designing research projects just so we can gain access to those rooms, as they are locked to only those who have expressed need and permission to access them.

The day ended with an 11pm sale of a book case to a funny little asian boy who leter emailed me telling me thanks and commenting on how cute he thought I was. How nice of him, awkward and funny, but nice.

The next day starts off with a calm home cooked breakfast then a super busy day. Oh the new york way of life. Being here I find that I tend to over anticipate the amount I can get done in one day. And so today I cleaned out the kitchen, put stuff to the curb that will be free to whoever wants it, packed up Tawanda and moved him to storage, shipped out my stereo, and two pieces of artwork (one of which is a photo of my brothers and I when I'm probably 6 or 7, hilarious). Then I proceeded to shave (my surprise to all my friends who have known me all these years) and go meet my friend Sephali for gelato and iced coffees in battery park.

Sephali has been apart of a crew of people who have had a huge positive impact on my self image as a teacher. Over this past year I feel that I have gone through a major shift in the way I think of myself as a teacher. With my core group of friends expanding, my teaching situation shifting, a new area for both teaching and living, and finally having a group of other passionate teachers with whom I'm in constant contact my life as a teacher was drastically changed in one year. I felt myself become more passionate, more confident, able to expect more of myself, my students and my peers etc. A lot of things are different for me now and it feels great. This is part of why I feel I'm leaving NY teaching on a good note. I have come full circle. I came here inspired, passionate and idealistic (if a little nieve). Then went through some really tough growing pains of learning to cope and deal with what reality chose to throw at me. And now I'm back to being passionate, connected and maybe more realistic about my goals and direction I wish to go. I thank a lot of this process to those people around me these past 4 years. To think of myself 4 years ago I want to giggle. What a difference!!

Well now I'm off to enjoy some last hours with my bestest friends here in brooklyn as Pacifico over some Margaritas. I hope its festive and fun. And probably a little surprise for my friends as I haven't seen them since I shaved my beard off (for the first time in 3 years). Hazzah

Pics= Margaritas and rainbows over brooklyn



No comments:

Post a Comment