Monday, July 11, 2011

Shipping

Just got back from the amtrak station. Wow what an undiscovered treasure they are. I was able to box up and ship out all of my stuff (670 lbs worth) for under $400. And that includes the zip car I rented to bring it all to Amtrak.

Now, Amtrak does not advertise these services and I think for good reason. I bet they would hate to deal with all the laypeople day in and day out. They already deal with so many other people its insane. *I saw a woman come up to drop her baggage off for a train trip, then 5 min later come back to get her "baby's milk" which consisted of to blankets when the attendant wasn't missing. All of this for a train that was leaving in 5 minutes.

Anyway, my friend patrick and I found the loading dock and proceeded to wait as the baggage people where busy with customer like the above. While we waited we decided to unload everything and stack it up on the pallet I found on the street two weeks prior. Right as we were finishing up the attendant came out and helped finish up. 15 min later I had the receipt in hand and I was off back to my home. The total weight of stuff I shipped out... 670 lbs. Can you believe it. I whittled everything I own down to that little (or that much depending on how you look at it). For me it was a huge downsizing. (Check out the picture of all my stuff stacked up)

Now all that is left is me, my bike and the stuff coming down the road with me.

I practiced boxing up my bike, it works. Found out that I will need to carry my tires on the plane which shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed).  This means I will have my boxed bike, my duffle bag full of the panniers (bike bags), my wheels and a drawstring bag with things to do on the plane.

THAT'S IT.

Everything else is either getting sold, or put on the sidewalk for free. This has been an amazing process. I have slowly sold all of my larger belongings via craigslist. I only have a few more to go and its just gonna be me and my sleeping pad :) It's so liberating selling it all off. Feels like a big weight being lifted off my back. I no longer am anchored to NYC. I am now offcially free floating. If I wanted to I could start biking and camping right now. It's an amazing feeling and I suggest everyone tries it once. Sell as much as you can off, put the rest in storage and just go. Do what you wanna do. Travel, camp, go to an artists community, read a book a day, see the world etc. Try not to let yourself have regrets. Not that I have regreted these past 4 years but it is definitely time to live life, to go on and adventure and see what life brings me.

Cheers to the unknown :)

No comments:

Post a Comment