Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Everything checks out

Today was a good day, as most have been in portlandia. Its been sunny most of the days, warm, and inviting to be slow down and exist on whatever level I need to. I've been really enjoying watering the beautiful gardens that Daniel has created. For me its been the perfect way to slow down and get in touch with caring for something else. This mind set has made it much easier to care for myself in the ways that I need.

Speaking of care. I went to the orthopedist trained chiropractor who was suggested to me by Luke's acupuncturist. At first I was hessitant about going to a chiropractor for my knee with tendinitis. But this man was great. He sat woth me for like 10 minutes and we just talked. Through this talking something I thought was totally unrelated came up and he made a possible connection. So right before I left NYC I had some bad digestion problems that I had to go to the doctor for. They gave me Cipro which is an antibiotic. Apparently a major side effects is tendinitis (see the link). Of course I had no idea and I went ahead and took it cause I needed my stomach to get better. Little did I know it would have a lasting impact of my bike journey.    Drugs are crazy man!

That being said I started to feel a whole lot better about this whole injury thing. Now it still could be that I just completely over did it. My weak ankle could have upset my knee just a little bit and the extra effort of the journey could have put it over the top and cause it to happen. But the added effect of the Cipro probably did not help the situation. The doctor dude told me that I was already doing a lot of good things by resting, massaging, and icing. The major thing he suggested was to take it even easier, and ice more. He said to ice after any physical activity. So guess what I'm doing right now!

I am a firm believer in the fact that all things happen for a reason and the best way to move forward is to accept this and find the best possible next step to continue.

So that's what I'm doing. Taking my anticipated journey that came to a hault prematurely and finding a new path as my step forward. I feel that I'm already doing what I was hoping the west coast would encourage: slowing down and being more mindful of what I do and how I do it.

Speakin of my next step, I got to meet up with Joel and do a test drive of the truck we will be taking down to Arcata. Interesting dude that Joel. Got himself some tickets in Cali that he decided not to pay. $3000 dollars later and a revoked license and this guys needs a ride back to sort things out. I have some experience with this as I was 16 once and sped a bit too much and got my license taken away. Not a fun thing to have happen. One major difference here is that Joel has got to be 35 or 40 and owns two cars. I mean what was he thinking. Oh well, it has given me the opportunity to drive myself and my bike to arcata and get a visit in with my cousin.

Next step, Luke's show then off to Arcata/Trinidad CA for some solid chill time on the NorCal coast. I hear my cousin built a rockin 6" mini ramp for his son. That will be sweet to check out. Now after a burger and a wonderful day I'm ready for some nice rest.

Be well and look up every once and a while you might be surprised at what you see.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bro. I hope you are well. I've enjoyed keeping intouch through reading your blog. Life is an adventure. Enjoy!
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete